Tourism Extension is advancing knowledge of agritourism’s role in revenue diversification of family farms and revitalization of rural communities. In North Carolina, depressed agricultural revenues and the decline of demand for traditional cash crops like tobacco are encouraging farmers to offer a variety of recreational, educational, and tourism activities to make their finances more resilient. Our experience on the motivations and outcomes of agritourism development among family farms and small landowners is critical to facilitate successful agritourism operations.
- Homegrown Handmade Art Roads and Farm Trails of N.C.
- A How-To Guide for Successful Agritourism Enterprises by Bullen & Wolfe
- Agritourism, Your Way
- Community Service
- Considering an Agritourism Enterprise?
- Customer Service
- Marketing Your Agritourism Enterprise
- Promoting Your Agritourism Business
- Qualifying and Quantifying Your Personal Agritourism Potential
- Regulations That May Affect Your Agritourism Enterprise
- Risk Assessment and Management
- Are Neighbors Benefiting from Wine Tourism Development? Perceptions from the Piedmont Triad of North Carolina by Mirza Farzana Halim, Shuangyu Xu, Jing Li, and Carla Barbieri (2016).
- How Beneficial is Agritourism? North Carolina Farmers and Residents Respond by Xu, Barbieri, Rich, Seekamp, & Morais; North Carolina State University (2014)
- Agritourism, Farm Visits, Agro-Tourism – Oh My! Do Farmers, Residents, and Extension Faculty Speak the Same Language? by Rozier Rich, Xu, Barbieri, & Gil Arroyo; North Carolina State University, & University of Missouri (2012)
- Agritourism in North Carolina: Comparison of 2005 and 2012 Survey Results by Xu & Rozier Rich; North Carolina State University (2012)
- Agritourism in North Carolina: Summary of Pilot Study Results by Xu & Rozier Rich; North Carolina State University (2012)
- Agritourism, Farm Visits, Agro-Tourism Oh My! Do Farmers, Residents, and Extension Faculty Speak the Same Language? by Samantha Rozier Rich, Shuangyu Xu, Carla Barbieri, & Claudia Gill Arroyo (2012).
- Using Social Media to Market Agritourism by Colucci, Rozier Rich, Tomas, Carleo, Komar, Schilling; North Carolina State University, & Rutgers University (2012)
- Agritourism Opportunities for Farm Diversification by Rozier Rich, Tomas, Colucci, Komar, Schilling, & Carleo; North Carolina State University & Rutgers University (2011)
- The Economic Benefits of Agritourism in Missouri Farms by Barbieri & Tew; University of Missouri (2010)
- Agritourism in Missouri: A Profile of Farms by Visitor Numbers by Barbieri & Tew; University of Missouri (2010)
- A Preliminary Assessment of Agritourism in Missouri by Barbieri & Tew; University of Missouri (2009)