Tourism Extension is advancing knowledge of agritourism’s role in revenue diversification of family farms and revitalization of rural communities. In North Carolina, depressed agricultural revenues and the decline of demand for traditional cash crops like tobacco are encouraging farmers to offer a variety of recreational, educational, and tourism activities to make their finances more resilient. Our experience on the motivations and outcomes of agritourism development among family farms and small landowners is critical to facilitate successful agritourism operations.
Videos & Podcasts
- Agritourism in North Carolina (November 2020; by Justin Moore)
- Agritourism: Heading Out on the Farm (August 2020; by Dee Shore)
- NC Women in Agritourism (2017, Meredith Brown)
- Voices of Women in Agritourism Series (2017, Meredith Brown):
NC Agritourism Resources
- North Carolina Agritourism Networking Association works across the state to identify and promote best practices, build a network, address challenges, and celebrate successes while advocating to address needs.
- North Carolina Department of Agriculture & Consumer Services and sign up for the Monday Marketing Message
- VisitNCfarmstoday.com has a link to the Visit NC Farms App to have the most up to date information about agritourism information
- Extension Resources – The Agritourism & Societal Well-Being Lab
Publications & Factsheets
- Success of Women in Agritourism: She Will Get What She Wants by Savage, Barbieri, Jakes, & Morais (2018).
- North Carolina women’s success in agritourism: Turning challenges into opportunities by Halim, Barbieri, Jakes, Morais (2016).
- Are Neighbors Benefiting from Wine Tourism Development? Perceptions from the Piedmont Triad of North Carolina by Farzana Halim, Xu, Li, & Barbieri (2016).
- How Beneficial is Agritourism? North Carolina Farmers and Residents Respond by Xu, Barbieri, Rich, Seekamp, & Morais (2014).
- Agritourism, Farm Visits, Agro-Tourism – Oh My! Do Farmers, Residents, and Extension Faculty Speak the Same Language? by Rozier Rich, Xu, Barbieri, & Gil Arroyo; North Carolina State University, & University of Missouri (2012).
- Using Social Media to Market Agritourism by Colucci, Rozier Rich, Tomas, Carleo, Komar, Schilling; North Carolina State University & Rutgers University (2012).
- Agritourism Opportunities for Farm Diversification by Rozier Rich, Tomas, Colucci, Komar, Schilling, & Carleo; North Carolina State University & Rutgers University (2011).
- The Economic Benefits of Agritourism in Missouri Farms by Barbieri & Tew; University of Missouri (2010).
- Agritourism in Missouri: A Profile of Farms by Visitor Numbers by Barbieri & Tew; University of Missouri (2010).
- A Preliminary Assessment of Agritourism in Missouri by Barbieri & Tew; University of Missouri (2009).
- A How-To Guide for Successful Agritourism Enterprises by Bullen & Wolfe
- Agritourism, Your Way
- Community Service
- Considering an Agritourism Enterprise?
- Customer Service
- Marketing Your Agritourism Enterprise
- Promoting Your Agritourism Business
- Qualifying and Quantifying Your Personal Agritourism Potential
- Regulations That May Affect Your Agritourism Enterprise
- Risk Assessment and Management