Tourism Extension is advancing knowledge of agritourism’s role in revenue diversification of family farms and revitalization of rural communities. In North Carolina, depressed agricultural revenues and the decline of demand for traditional cash crops like tobacco are encouraging farmers to offer a variety of recreational, educational, and tourism activities to make their finances more resilient. Our experience on the motivations and outcomes of agritourism development among family farms and small landowners is critical to facilitate successful agritourism operations.
Videos & Podcasts
- Agritourism in North Carolina (November 2020; by Justin Moore)
- Agritourism: Heading Out on the Farm (August 2020; by Dee Shore)
- NC Women in Agritourism (2017, Meredith Brown)
- Voices of Women in Agritourism Series (2017, Meredith Brown):
NC Agritourism Resources
- North Carolina Agritourism Networking Association works across the state to identify and promote best practices, build a network, address challenges, and celebrate successes while advocating to address needs.
- North Carolina Department of Agriculture & Consumer Services and sign up for the Monday Marketing Message
- VisitNCfarmstoday.com has a link to the Visit NC Farms App to have the most up to date information about agritourism information
- Extension Resources – The Agritourism & Societal Well-Being Lab
Publications & Factsheets
- Cultivating Local Foods Consumers: Using Agritourism to Promote Local Foods by Brune, Knollenberg, Barbieri, Stevenson, Reilly, Strnad, Driscoll
- Success of Women in Agritourism: She Will Get What She Wants by Savage, Barbieri, Jakes, & Morais (2018).
- North Carolina women’s success in agritourism: Turning challenges into opportunities by Halim, Barbieri, Jakes, Morais (2016).
- Are Neighbors Benefiting from Wine Tourism Development? Perceptions from the Piedmont Triad of North Carolina by Farzana Halim, Xu, Li, & Barbieri (2016).
- How Beneficial is Agritourism? North Carolina Farmers and Residents Respond by Xu, Barbieri, Rich, Seekamp, & Morais (2014).
- Agritourism, Farm Visits, Agro-Tourism – Oh My! Do Farmers, Residents, and Extension Faculty Speak the Same Language? by Rozier Rich, Xu, Barbieri, & Gil Arroyo; North Carolina State University, & University of Missouri (2012).
- Using Social Media to Market Agritourism by Colucci, Rozier Rich, Tomas, Carleo, Komar, Schilling; North Carolina State University & Rutgers University (2012).
- Agritourism Opportunities for Farm Diversification by Rozier Rich, Tomas, Colucci, Komar, Schilling, & Carleo; North Carolina State University & Rutgers University (2011).
- The Economic Benefits of Agritourism in Missouri Farms by Barbieri & Tew; University of Missouri (2010).
- Agritourism in Missouri: A Profile of Farms by Visitor Numbers by Barbieri & Tew; University of Missouri (2010).
- A Preliminary Assessment of Agritourism in Missouri by Barbieri & Tew; University of Missouri (2009).
A How-To Guide for Successful Agritourism Enterprises by Bullen & Wolfe
- Agritourism, Your Way
- Community Service
- Considering an Agritourism Enterprise?
- Customer Service
- Marketing Your Agritourism Enterprise
- Promoting Your Agritourism Business
- Qualifying and Quantifying Your Personal Agritourism Potential
- Regulations That May Affect Your Agritourism Enterprise
- Risk Assessment and Management
AgrifoodGateway: Horticulture International – Horticulture International (AgriFoodGateway) is the most comprehensive horticulture information database with more than 3,400 technical bulletins from research institutions around the world.
Pick-Your-Own (U-Pick) Marketing [factsheet] by Matt Ernst & Tim Woods, University of Kentucky, CES.
Agritourism in New Jersey -Sustainable Farming on the Urban Fringe The New Jersey Agriculture Experiment Station and Rutgers Cooperative Extension developed a website that provides additional-related resources, webinar videos, and information for farmers, educators, planners, and visitors.
So You Want to Start an Agritourism Farm? by Annie Baggett; NCDA
Is an Agritourism Venture Right For Your Farm? by Stephen Komar, Brian Schilling, Jenny Carleo, Susan Colucci, Samantha Rosier Rich, & Stacy Tomas; NC State & Rutgers CES
Agritourism Best Management Practices and Plan of Operation by Dora Ann Hatch; LSU Ag Center – Research and Extension
Direct Farm Marketing and Tourism Handbook University of Arizona Cooperative Extension Service
Agritourism in Focus: A Guide for Tennessee Farmers by Megan Bruch, Amanda Ziehl, Timothy Prather, Russ Bragg, Ramay Winchester, Caneta Hankins, & Patricia McDaniels
Western Profiles of Innovating Agricultural Marketing: Examples from Direct Farm Marketing and Agri-Tourism Enterprises for sale from University of Arizona CES
Is Agritourism Right for You? by Bill Walker- NJDA
University of Minnesota Tourism Center UMN website
Agricultural Marketing Resource Center Iowa State University & USDA
Zoning and Health Considerations in Agritourism by Lisa Chase, Varna Ramaswamy, Steven Burr, Jascha Zeitlin, Gary Green, & Michael Dougherty Iowa State Univ., Vermont CES, Utah CES, & Wisconsin CES
Marketing 101 for your Agritourism business Bulletin E337. Rutgers Cooperative Extension, Rutgers University, New Jersey Agricultural Experiment Station.